Saturday, May 7, 2011

Race for the Cure

The day finally came for my 1st race of 2011. I didn't take Alayna and her jogging stroller because she's been pretty sick all week. I wouldn't have wanted to take it anyway once I saw the crowd!! They estimated over 16,000 people, and it was packed. I decided last minute to use the bathroom, and I made it JUST in time. This race is timed, but it's not official timing. They don't keep track of each runner's time, so really it doesn't matter when you start! I had my own timer anyway.

It was about 60 degrees when I got there and a little overcast...perfect race day weather. The start of the race was a little annoying because walkers were up front too. The organization of the start of the race wasn't great. I was weaving in and out of people the WHOLE race, especially at the beginning. There was a slight hill up and then down right in the middle of the race. I got a sideache, but it wasn't bad.

I felt strong and even picked up my pace the last mile. I FELT like I was running faster, and it felt GREAT!!! The finish is really fun for this race because it's at the outdoor Gateway Mall with TONS of people cheering you on. I passed several people as I sprinted to the finish with a time of 26:17 which is about an 8:28 mile!! I felt great except I had to come to a dead on walk right as I crossed the finish line since the crowd was at a stand still.

I was handed an orange, water, bread, yogurt, a bag, and a coupon for a free loaf of Great Harvest Wheat Bread. Although this race is packed and crowded it's SO inspirational to see survivors, those still fighting, and those running in honor of lost loved ones.

4 weeks til race #2, and it's a hilly one, so speed runs are gonna have to be hill workouts at least once a week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment